If you are using Classy to receive gifts and manage peer to peer fundraising campaigns, you can have Gift Data from Classy automatically sync to Virtuous. Once the sync is enabled, any new online credit card donations received in Classy will automatically be sent to Virtuous and then bundled nightly for processing via the Gift & Contact Import tool.
Use this handy-dandy guide to connect Virtuous and Classy and enable the sync between systems.
Note: You should only configure the Classy sync once you have access to your live Virtuous database. We do not recommend syncing a test or sandbox instance.
To begin, you'll want to create new user logins in both Virtuous and Classy. These logins will be reserved specifically for the integration. Creating separate user accounts for this ensures that your sync will not be affected if a user has to change their password.
- Create a new user in Virtuous for the integration. Make sure this user has Admin permissions. You will need to use an email address that you have access to, as you will need to be able to receive the invite to complete the setup. (Tip: if you use gmail, you can add a "+" after the first part of your email address — before the "@" — and then type in anything you want to create an aliased email. So, you could create a user with "firstname.lastname@example.org.")
- Create a new user in Classy for the integration. Make sure this user has an Administrator role. It is not required for this user account to be the same as that created for Virtuous, but it is recommended as that will be easier to manage 😉.
Create the Application in Classy
Now that your users and data are set up, it's time to create the sync in Classy. Log in to Classy and navigate to the "Apps & Extensions" page from the menu.
There, click on the "Classy API" option near the top of the screen.
There, you'll see the option to create a new app.
Fill in the following values:
- Application Name: Virtuous CRM Integration
- Oauth2 Redirect URI: https://app.virtuoussoftware.com/
Then agree to the terms of service and click "Create New App."
Configure the Sync
Now, you've got everything you need! It's time to actually configure the sync. Here we go!
First, log in to the Virtuous Connect app:
using the same Virtuous credentials you created earlier for your integration. On your Integrations screen, click View in the Classy box.
The Credentials tab is where you will enter information about your Classy account.
To find your Classy Organization ID, you'll need to log in to Classy and then look at the url in your address bar. When you do, you should see something like this:
See those numbers in there? The "12345?" That's the Organization ID. Enter yours in the first field.
To find the Classy Client ID and API Key, you'll need to navigate back to the Classy API screen. There, you should see the app you created earlier.
The Client ID listed for your new app is what you'll need to enter in the second configuration field as your Classy Client ID. Click to edit the app in order to see the actual app information, including the "Client Secret."
The Client Secret is what you will enter as your Classy API Key.
Once you've entered all of the required IDs, click on the Sync Settings tab to begin mapping your fields.
First, on the Sync Settings tab, you'll set some basic defaults for the integration.
You'll first need to specify a Campaign and then select a specific Campaign Communication from that Campaign. These defaults will be used as part of the mapping logic for Campaign data. You can learn more about that in this article.
If you will be receiving pledges, you'll need to specify a default pledge frequency to have pledges created in Virtuous. The pledge frequency data cannot be synced directly from Classy.
Below these fields, you'll see a toggle to enable or disable the sync. The toggle must be active (it will show blue) in order for transactions to sync.
Note: Enabling the sync will not bring any past transactions into Virtuous. Only transactions processed while the sync is enabled will be transferred.
Below the toggle, you'll see a series of checkboxes, allowing you to control what data will sync and, in some cases, how data will sync between both platforms.
Let's look at each of these:
- ACH Gifts - Select this option to sync ACH gifts to Virtuous, which will create transactions using the Gift Type "EFT" in Virtuous.
- Custom Questions - If you would like to sync custom questions from Classy, select this option. You'll be able to customize the mapping on another tab.
- Crowdfunding - Select this to sync crowdfunding transactions from Classy to Virtuous.
- Donations - This option must be selected to sync donations from Classy to Virtuous.
- Peer-to-peer - This option must be selected to sync P2P gifts from Classy to Virtuous.
- Ticketed Events - Select this option if you would like to sync ticket purchases to Virtuous as gifts.
- Offline Gifts - Select this option if you would like offline gifts entered in Classy to sync to Virtuous automatically. If you plan to enter gifts manually in Virtuous, you will not want to sync these transactions to avoid duplication of data.
- Unsubscriptions - When selected, Individuals in Virtuous will be globally unsubscribed from emails when they opt-out of email in Classy.
- Registration with Fundraising Events - Select this option to sync event registration data from Classy to Virtuous.
- Create Designation for Donor Paid Fees - Select this option to have any donor paid costs split into a separate project when gifts are created.
- Create Contacts With Supporter Details - When selected, the sync will use Supporter information to match to or create new Contacts. If unchecked, or if there is no supporter data included with a transaction, the Billing details will be used.
- Event Attendees - Select this option to ensure that all even attendees are synced to the corresponding event in Virtuous.
- Use Original Currency - If selected, the original currency and amount of gifts in Classy will be used to create transactions in Virtuous. Virtuous will log gifts in their native currency and then display the Converted Amount in your organization's base currency.
Once you have selected all of your options, you'll be ready to move on to the Mapping Tab. You can learn more about mapping your data in this handy-dandy support article.