Yes, new features are here! Since the vast majority of the features in this release are based on user questions and feedback, we thought we'd present some of the new features in FAQ style. (Besides, it's fun and because we haven't really used this bit in a while.) So here are your made-up questions and answers for everything included in the February 2023 Virtuous update!
Receipts, Dang Emails, and Statistics
Q: Wait...is that section heading just a bad paraphrasing of Mark Twain?
A: Why, yes it is, astute reader! But it's funny because we changed the words.
Q: If you have to explain the joke, is it even funny anymore?
A: Not at all! But that's just part of our brand™ here.
Q: OK...well, see I have a questions about email receipts. I've been sending them out to my donors, but how can I tell if donors are actually receiving them?
A: Well, that's a mighty fine question! So glad you asked. Because it just so happens that, in this release, we've added email statistics for email receipts!
Q: Whoa, cool! Where can I see these?
A: Why, in Virtuous, of course!
Q: Yep, I got that, but...where?
Q: A, yes. Well, if you navigate to the Receipting page, you can click on the Receipting History tab to view all past receipting runs.
Then, just click on the Preview icon to view the summary details of any Receipting run.
Q: The Preview icon?
A: That's what we call that little eyeball.
Q: Got it. And what will I see in that summary?
A: Another great question! Why, it just so happens that we have an example right here.
You'll see the total number of email receipts sent, the status of the email send, and the open rate for those emails. Cool, huh?
Q: Well...yeah, that is cool, but what if I want to know who hasn't opened the email with their receipt? Or if anyone's receipt bounced? Is there a way to see those details too?
A: Ah, you drive a hard bargain. BUT WAIT...
Q: Oh no not this still!
A: THERE'S MORE!
A: We've added receipt email data to the Email Activity page. From the main email screen in Marketing, just click on the Actions drop-down and select "View Activity."
Then, you can use the filter options to see the status of any email receipts sent.
Q: Oh that's great! Say, I've heard that sent email data is only available for the past 90 days. Is that true?
A: It is, my suspiciously well-informed questioner! SO you can report on any receipt emails sent within the last 90 days, but not historical data. And I should mention, since this is a new feature, you won't see data populated for past receipting emails. This data will begin to populate on any new email receipts sent going forward.
Q: That works for me! Anything else I should know about receipting?
A: Well...we could tell you, but we'll have to say it.
A: Well, do you want to know what else we have included for receipting in this release?
Q: Yes, I do...oh, OK. Go ahead.
A: *full infomercial voice* BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! In this release, we've taken our recent improvements to the annual statement process even farther, and we've added Statement runs to the Receipting History tab too!
Q: Oh wow that is fantastic! What happens when I click on the eye...er...preview icon?
A: Hey, you catch on quick! When you view a Statement run, you'll be able to see how many gifts were included and how many receipts were generated, click on the query used for the run (though, of course if it's been a while since it was run, the results could have changed), access any of the downloads for the statement run, and even choose to make all of the statements in the run available in the Virtuous Giving or RaiseDonors Donor Portal.
Q: Wow...that is a LOT more!
A: Hey, go big or go home, right?
Q: I'm almost afraid to ask, but is there anything else I should know?
A: It's OK, we won't use the catchphrase again.
Q: Oh thank goodness.
A: But, if you want to learn more, check out our whole collection of articles on receipting.
What's Your Type?
Q: You know, I have another question.
A: Sounds good! Fire away, hypothetical interlocutor!
Q: Whenever I am entering a Non-cash Gift, I always have to select the "Other" type because none of the things we receive as donations are on the list. Is there a way to customize those options at all?
A: Well, you are never gonna believe this, but it just so happens that in this release, we've added the ability to edit Non-cash Gift Types!
Q: You don't say!
A: I do say!
Q: If I'm an admin, how can I customize these for my organization?
A: Easy-peasy! From the settings menu, select Data Customization and then select "Non-cash Gift Types."
There, you'll see all of the existing Non-cash Gift Types for your organization. You can click on the edit icon to the right of any existing type to modify, enable, or disable it. Or, just look for the button to "Create a Non-cash Gift Type Option."
Q: Wait, you just said that you can edit existing types. Does that mean that I can actually change the system values? We don;t get a lot of ATV donations.
A: You betcha! If you choose to edit an existing Type, you'll see a warning since any saved queries will be affected. But you can modify system values all you like. Though we do strongly recommend keeping the "Other" type, just in case any unexpected items are donated.
Q: This is fantastic! Our gift entry will be so much better now.
A: Glad to hear it! This is something we've gotten many requests for, so we are glad to be able to include it in this update.
...And The Rest
As with every release, this latest update also includes a number of other fixes, tweaks, minor modifications, and assorted nudges. Among this month's assorted fixes:
- You may notice that this release includes some small design updates for dashboard widgets, and other charts and graphs throughout Virtuous. Yes, we've had work done, and we are not ashamed to flaunt it!
- Custom questions from Ticketed Events have been available within registrations themselves, but this data has not carried over to custom fields on Contact records, which limits the ability to query on data from ticket transactions. Well, that's how things USED to work. NOW, all custom questions will be imported and stored as custom fields. Because it's just the right thing to do.
- And speaking of Ticketed Events, we are bringing them to the Great White North in this release! Now, the country field on an event registration page will default to wherever the event is located, though a registrant can, of course, change it when entering their address. When the country is selected, the State drop-down will update accordingly. Time for a Tim Horton's fundraiser!
- Have you ever been working in the Gift & Contact Import tool and wondered how many pages of records you have left in your import? Well, wonder no more! We've added page numbers to the navigation, with the ability to quickly move between pages, to help make gift entry as smooth as possible. Because all the great fundraising in the world won't help if you can't keep track of gifts!
- If your organization is tracking gifts made in multiple currencies, you'll probably be pleased as punch to know that you can now query (or filter) for gifts based on either the "Native" amount or the Converted amount. Because math, as they say, is hard.
- As a matter of fact, we've also added support for sending exchange rates in with gifts via our API. This will allow partners to send in exchange rates so that gifts in Virtuous will match gifts shown in a third party giving platform. Auditors generally like it when systems are using the same math.
And that's the list! Phew! As always, if you have any questions about these or other features, feel free to contact our team using the support widget in Virtuous, or drop us a line by emails email@example.com.